[talk-au] Nearmap badly out of date

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed May 11 17:20:59 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 20:00 +1000, Nick Hocking wrote:
> A nearmapper has decided that badly out-of-date nearmap imagery was
> more authorative than my GPS traces (taken last weekend) and has
> "completed" a road that is not there any longer. It has been
> completely grassed over so that cars can not travel along it, for some
> time to come, and barricades have been placed at the ends.

If you look at the data for this stretch of road, you'll see it is
tagged as highway=construction

> Well done guys, you are well on the way to making OSM as "good" as
> google maps. This reinforces my belief that imagery (whether Bing or
> nearmap) should never be used for anything that needs to be routable.

If your router tries to route you down roads tagged as
highway=construction that is something you need to take up with routing
software authors, not mappers who decide to map contruction roads.

> Sorry guys, nearmap will have to fly and process Canberra every week
> to keep up with an interested local mapper (and thats only for the
> road topology - names are something else again).

Anyone on OSM who considers nearmap a 100% resource for mapping would be
as foolish as you seem to be with this situation.  It is simply one
resource, as are ABS boundaries, GPS traces (yours and other peoples)
and ground survey work for names and sign details.

Do you have a personal or commercial interest against nearmap, or do you
dislike that they set themselves up to cater to OSM, licenced all their
data to be compatible with OSM (for OSM and others to use) and then when
some people in the OSM project decide to change the rules that NearMap
wont just instantly keep on adapting to suit OSMs potentially (but still
unconfirmed) changes.

David