[talk-au] Nearmap badly out of date

Ross info at 4x4falcon.com
Sat May 14 02:50:13 BST 2011

On 11/05/11 20:00, Nick Hocking wrote:
> A nearmapper has decided that badly out-of-date nearmap imagery was
> more authorative than my GPS traces (taken last weekend) and has
> "completed" a road that is not there any longer. It has been
> completely grassed over so that cars can not travel along it, for some
> time to come, and barricades have been placed at the ends.
So did you put in barrier=bollard or similar at the end of the way?

Did you tag your ways with source=survey so that it would show them that
you had actually surveyed it?

> Well done guys, you are well on the way to making OSM as "good" as
> google maps. This reinforces my belief that imagery (whether Bing or
> nearmap) should never be used for anything that needs to be routable.

As David pointed out this is mapped as highway=construction so will not
be routable any way.
>   I hope the user has the gumption to quitely revert his incorrect
> changes. I don't suppose anyone wondered why I would go so far out of
> my way to map all the new roads and then fail to drive the last bit of
> this one.
>

> He also found a bit of pavement that I has missed mapping so that was
> good. He used a bit of poetic licence to mark it "one way". Even
> though there are no "one way" markings on the road itself, the
> topography indicates that it can ONLY be one way, so I think that this
> action was entirely appropriate even though it departs from "map only
> what is on the ground".

And so it's obvious that it should then be oneway and has been mapped as
such.
> Nearmap  ( near enough is good enough)
> Sorry Nearmap - I'm not having a go at your excellent imagery, just
> the way some people choose to use it.
>
> PS - I drove back out there again this morning to check on a street
> sign where I was sure I had a typo (and I did, although I now can't
> fix it). There were some more new roads open so I have mapped them as
> well.

So where are we talking about so we can see if your surveying skills are
up to the task?

Cheers
Ross