[talk-au] remapping ways from bing but copying the original tags

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 09:26:30 GMT 2011

Hi,

Firstly,I think we are overwhelmingly agreed that OSM doesn't copy other
maps or data.  Just because someone has a individual view that some data
isn't covered by copyright doesn't make it so.  It is frustrating when this
happens,  and as you know this isn't the first time that data has been
entered into OSM just on the bush-lawyer opinion of an importer/contributor.

We have some procedures to deal with this.   Discussion, revert the
changesets, and report it.  Invite the editor to this discussion.

On the subject of FOSM, the OSM data that hasn't be relicenced is going to
be remapped.  This means deleting some perfectly good data, and remapping
it by survey or the available imagery.   FOSM hopefully should develop
procedures to cope with this, hopefully with the outcome of preserving the
best maps it can.

I don't think it is really practical that people not remap data which
people have not relicenced under the new CTs.   Although I'm personally not
going out of my way to remap unCT data (yet), if I have surveyed an area
and have additional information to add to the map, I'm not going to make
changes to unCT data and risk my changes being wasted, I'll remap instead.

Ian.