[talk-au] ABS [ ODbL data.gov.au permission granted]

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:38:05 GMT 2011

Hi.

There are some difficulties here:

The suburb boundaries have been there a while, and have been heavily
edited. Often a boundary is marked by a geographical feature, such as a
road or a river. In many places the geographical feature has been merged
with the boundary. Removing the boundary removes any corrections to the
boundary (that is, any new points that were not actually part of the
import), and likely removes things like rivers, railway lines, and roads.

What will get removed? The relations? The ways? The points? I guess this is
a question bigger than just the ABS data, but given how integrated this
import is with other data, the impact would be significant.

How on earth would we plan for such removal?

Franc also imported postcode boundaries at the same time as the suburb
boundaries.

 - Ben.