[talk-au] [OpenStreetMap] intersections

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Mon Nov 28 14:04:48 GMT 2011

Ok lets look at one intersection:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch2&lat=-37.757227&lon=145.354724&zoom=18

This will open in potlatch 2 or you can view it here on the map:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.75735&lon=145.355389&zoom=18

ways 136173430, 13673431, 13673419, 13673432

These are not separate ways, they are lanes within the main way.  If
they were ways then they are not two way streets.  Someone who is not
from Australia (eg USA where they drive on the opposite side of the
road) who was to follow this would end up facing on coming traffic on
the wrong side of the road.  They have intersections with other ways
without intersection nodes.

You complain about the chunkiness and messiness of the current data yet
the information you have entered aside from being totally incorrect is
absolutly useless to any body.  Try looking at these intersections on a
small garmin gps screen and then try to navigate through them.

The problems you point out below are not data problems they are
rendering issues and you are mapping incorrectly for the renderer.  If
you want these to display differently then modify the renderer don't put
in incorrect data.

These do not reflect reality as currently there, remember it is a map
not a photorealistic representation of what is on the ground.  If you
want photorealistic representation then use nearmap or bing or google.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Don%27t_tag_for_the_renderer

Cheers
Ross