[talk-au] [OpenStreetMap] intersections

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Nov 29 13:53:10 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Ben Johnson <tangararama at gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> Recently I read a suggestion for "zoom hinting" tags to assist / override
> renderers in deciding whether certain elements should be visible at certain
> zoom levels.  Adopting an "assisted rendering" approach to hide various
> ugliness could be a step toward having the best of both worlds.

Elsewhere in this thread, Sam Couter suggests that renders can
automate this without hints.  He's correct.

In a presentation at SotM-EU in Vienna this year Andy Allan spoke of
rendering while considering "sparseness", so smaller places are
rendered when big places are further apart.  This sounds like what Ben
is asking for in this case, and without the need for a special
rendering-hint tag.

Having a place tag is good, having a population tag is good.  "Faking"
either of those for the renderer or otherwise seems bad.