[talk-au] Mapnik rendering

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Fri Sep 2 02:26:24 BST 2011

On 02/09/11 10:16, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty sure mapnik doesn't render highway=ford on a way.  It is
> probably for the best that it doesn't, IMO.
>
> See
>
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7510#p7510 and
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stylesheet for information on what is
> included in the stylesheets.
>
> And
>
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2944
>
> for a trac item about rendering fords.
>
> And the wiki for the discussion on tagging fords at the expense of the
> type of the underlying highway.

Thanks for that info.  I'm still puzzled as to what you mean by "tagging
fords at the expense of the type of the underlying highway".  I actually
hope I'm not missing something obvious.

I did have that way tagged as highway=unclassified and ford=yes, but the
OSM wiki wording suggests that's for places which just might get wet.
The ford I'm concerned with is long, is the river bed of the Shoalhaven
River, and is always submerged.  So the wiki is adamant it's highway=ford.

Have I missed some alternative way of having OSM show that the road at
the river is a through road, and doesn't just stop at either side?

John H