[talk-au] Missing streets in Sydney

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:08:20 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The imagery never becomes available before the on the ground
> geography. Giving eager mapers time to fill in via survey before the
> imagery comes.

Not always true, actually. New building sites appear on Nearmap (yes,
I know...) before public access is available. And there's lots of
stuff that can't really be mapped any other way (industrial sites come
to mind).

> The only grounds I can think of for the community to not accept data
> from contributors is incompatible license or incorrect data. If
> imagery leads to incorrect data, all the community can do is fix it up
> from their survey work.

Well, if there are contributors whose output costs others more time
than it saves, then of course the community should reject it. Usually
the debate about whether that's the case will totally overwhelm
whatever the difference is though.

Anyway, I'm quite glad there are people who enjoy ground surveying.
And some of those people apparently are glad that there are people who
prefer aerial tracing. What a team we all make!

Steve