[talk-au] Contribution review??

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:26:05 BST 2011

Hi Richard,

Welcome to OSM.

A few observations.

Nearmap is no longer an acceptable source for OSM, since they do not allow
traces from their imagery to be re-licensed.  I notice at least one of your
edits sourced nearmap, and that isn't allowed any more.  If you were using
Potlatch, perhaps you were using bing and didn't notice it?

Using the "name" tag to describe the way or the amenity probably isn't best
practice, it really should be the name of the way if it has one, and just
left blank if not.  Putting "path connecting two streets", isn't the name,
but you can put it in a "note"  tag if you think the information is
important.  Same with the playground, etc.  The name is what displays on the
map as the label.

You also don't need to put (dirt) in the name, instead you can use the
"surface" tags, or "tracktype" tags.

You don't need to put "steps" in the name, you can use highway=steps, or
steps=yes.

Apart from that, it looks good, and I look forward to grabbing my GPS and
walking the Bungaroo Track soon.

Ian.