[talk-au] Missing streets in Sydney

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:33:51 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you say, time isn't the only consideration.  I wouldn't want to be
> navigating anywhere important based on a map merely consisting of vectorised
> aerial imagery.  IMO OSMers are the ones who should be having the adventures
> down the road that may or may not connect, may or may not be open to the
> public, etc, leaving our data consumers with the benefit of our endeavours
> with maps accurately reflecting what is on the ground.

With the use of source tags you won't have to, you can filter out
anything without source=survey leaving you with a map with just
surveyed data (in theory). You filtering out data you don't like is a
much better option than forcing everyone else to not have access to
that data just because you don't like it. (I'm thinking of the case
where you have some area/features that no one is currently mapping by
local_knowledge, and some kind soul helps out by tracing the
area/feature that no one else has added from a ground survey yet).

(but this will omit stuff which was originally traced, but then
confirmed via survey without the need to update the source tags as
nothing was updated)