[talk-au] ODbL data.gov.au permission granted

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 08:14:20 BST 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir
<maxious at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay seriously guys, no matter how much you hate LWG/OSMF, don't take
> this out on AGIMO or the state governments.
> Grant's opening post to this thread has been circulated widely by
> AGIMO staff today, it's not a hoax and obviously by announcing it
> publicly, not behind closed doors!

Can you point me to the public announcement by the AGIMO? Thanks.

> Under the new IP policy, anybody can write to any federal agency and
> ask politely for another **open** licence:
>
> "11.(b) Consistent with the need for free and open re-use and
> adaptation, public sector information should be licensed by agencies
> under the Creative Commons BY standard as the default.
>
> An agency’s starting position when determining how to license its
> public sector information should be to consider Creative Commons
> licences (http://creativecommons.org.au/) or other open content
> licences.
>
> Agencies should license their public sector information under a
> Creative Commons licence or other open content licence following a
> process of due diligence and on a case-by-case basis."

If the AGIMO has granted OSM the right to publish data.gov.au datasets
under a license that does not require attribution, how can I request
the same permission from the AGIMO granted to myself? From there can I
port it to CC0? If the AGIMO are happy and able to do this, why
haven't they done this already?