[talk-au] ODbL data.gov.au permission granted

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:05:31 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> Andrew, could you share the text of the questions + examples asked? It
> has an impact on the 2nd paragraph of their response.

My complete query which they replied to was:

--------

Hi,

I see someone representing OpenStreetMap who claims that the AGIMO has
given OpenStreetMap special permissions regarding the use of some of
various agencies data on data.gov.au:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2011-September/008453.html

I would like to confirm if this is actually the case, and if so can I
ask why the AGIMO has given OpenStreetMap privileged special
permissions? I would ask that the AGIMO grant the same conditions to
everyone by a public license to anyone by dual licensing the data
under the current CC license in dual with the license given to
OpenStreetMap.

>We have been careful to point out that (under ODbL) we are not asking
>folks who make visual maps from OpenStreetMap to provide secondary
>attribution to each and every contributor, so would not be in
>compliance with the CC-BY Australia 2.5 and 3.0 license their data is
>normally provided under. They have raised no objection to this.

Regarding the above point, this means that people who use the data
from data.gov.au which they have obtained through OpenStreetMap, won't
be required to attribute the original government authority, only
OpenStreetMap. e.g. I could extract all the centerlink locations from
OpenStreetMap (which OSM pulled from data.gov.au) and then use that
data in a map without attributing the Commonwealth of Australia, or
any other government agency. If you are going to grant this permission
to OpenStreetMap, please grant it to the rest of us, ie. don't require
attribution (because that is what it seems you have allowed
OpenStreetMap to do by giving special privilege to them).