[talk-au] Tagging for "unofficial" Cycle routes in Lake Macquarie?

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:07:11 BST 2012

I can see your argument, and no doubt having useful cycle routes available
is a good thing.

However, I don't think personal ad-hoc cycle routes should be added to
OSM.  It is a slippery slope, and OSM can't accommodation everyone's ideal
connecting route.

Instead, I'd add the information (speed limits, road widths, residential
nature, cycle facilities (lanes, etc)) that would allow a typical cycle
router to be able to identify the connecting route between the two
cycleways.

Personally, I think long term this is a better way to go anyway.  Some of
the official cycle routes (particularly in Sydney) have poor cycle
facilities, and in the case of the currently tagged Concord to CBD cycleway
IMO is downright deadly.  So many people have different opinions on what
makes a good cycle route for them, lets identify the features and get them
all into OSM, and then lets optimise the software to find the best way.

There are lots of services to map personal favourite rides (bikely,
mapmyride, etc).

Ian.