[talk-au] Cycle Routes & Bicycle advisory road markings (Was: Marrickville Cycle Routes (Was: Re: Redaction recovery))

Sam Russell g.samuelrussell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:37:54 BST 2012

Dear Ian,

In contrast to:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2319564
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2319563
and
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/2319565

which are continuously marked with the blue route marker, my previous
experience of L8/L13 in Marrickville indicates that marking will be
sporadic (and therefore "fun").

It would be great if someone knew the AS1742 code for the outdated blue
bicycle route markers, because key:traffic_sign follows the format:
> key:traffic_sign=AU:AS1742.1-YEAR:Code

In the meantime I'm happy to code them:
> key:traffic_sign=AU:blue bike route

* * *

As another bicycle related question, could other mappers opine on bicycle
advisory road markings, in particular could we discuss the following points:

Bicycle advisory road markings in the centres of lanes (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking)
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/23392343  (Between Elizabeth and
Regent)
I would propose we treat these as infrastructure with cycleway = shared or
cycleway = sharrow
Users at sydneycyclist appear to value the effect of these of vehicle
behaviour.

Bicycle advisory road markings in the door zone, or under parked cars
I would propose we ignore these as infrastructure, and only attend to them
as proof of "map only" lcns where the marking is consistent over the
council's mapped route

opinions?

yours,
Sam R.