[talk-au] Cycle Routes & Bicycle advisory road markings (Was: Marrickville Cycle Routes (Was: Re: Redaction recovery))

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:14:03 BST 2012

On 1 August 2012 11:37, Sam Russell <g.samuelrussell at gmail.com> wrote:

> As another bicycle related question, could other mappers opine on bicycle
> advisory road markings, in particular could we discuss the following points:
>
> Bicycle advisory road markings in the centres of lanes (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking)
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/23392343  (Between Elizabeth
> and Regent)
> I would propose we treat these as infrastructure with cycleway = shared or
> cycleway = sharrow
> Users at sydneycyclist appear to value the effect of these of vehicle
> behaviour.

I think some discretion here is required.  I've tagged Wilson St in Newtown
this way, because the design and usage of the road is such that it is
shared.  It has features that the neighbouring residential roads don't, and
it is one of Sydney's cycle-streets.  I think in Sydney it needs more than
just bicycle sign in the middle of the road to make it cycleway=shared_lane.

I noticed some others tagging roads with bicycle stencils as bicycle=yes
(even though this is the default).

> Bicycle advisory road markings in the door zone, or under parked cars
> I would propose we ignore these as infrastructure, and only attend to them
> as proof of "map only" lcns where the marking is consistent over the
> council's mapped route

Agreed.

Ian.