[talk-au] Introducing myself and I have a question too

Matthew Landauer matthew at openaustralia.org
Wed Aug 8 08:03:04 BST 2012

Hi Ian,

I want to see the LGA data in OSM because that will make it easy to
get the data into the mapit service that I mentioned and we want to
use mapit for the OpenAustralia Foundation.

As for "why not import the data directly into mapit?"

Well, we could of course but that would limit the reusability of the
work. OSM is an incredible resource and it would be great to be able
to contribute to that rather than taking a shortcut which would just
benefit our needs and not the greater good of the community.

As far as I understand the LGA boundaries totally fit within what OSM
should provide, doesn't it?

We've seen already a large duplication of effort (even in Australia)
on work to map locations to political and administrative boundaries
and we want to do our bit to help move things in the right direction.

I hope that vaguely answers your question!

All the best,
Matthew

--
Dr Matthew Landauer