[talk-au] Introducing myself and I have a question too

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 9 01:13:41 BST 2012

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:47:46 +1000
Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> On 8 August 2012 15:53, Matthew Landauer <matthew at openaustralia.org> wrote:
>

> > I see that 2011 LGA boundary data is available on data.gov.au:
> > http://data.gov.au/dataset/local-government-area-asgc-ed-2011/
> >
> > and according to this post
> >
> > http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2011/09/24/odbl-data-gov-au-permission-granted/
> > data from data.gov.au can safely be included in OSM.
> >
> > Is this something that has already been done, or is already in progress?
> >

> But, just to clarify - why do _you_ want to see the LGA boundaries in
> OSM?  After all, it is easy enough to convert the LGA boundary data to any
> format you wish to, including OSM format, directly from the source.  You
> could layer that on top of OSM data (or any other data) if you wished to.
> You could update it every time the government updated it - something it is
> quite difficult to do to data that is imported into the OSM database.

I have a use for LGA info in one of my current projects. I'm looking for suitable places to move to, to escape the insanity of the big city. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a use for this data.

Different LGAs have a number of factors that make then better or worse places to live E.G. Rates & charges, delivery of services, insurance costs.

I also need postcode data to simplify real estate look ups as postcode is the only practical way of searching large areas on sites like realestate.com.au

mick