[talk-au] maxspeed - best practice?

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 21:49:41 BST 2012

It's part of a traffic zone proposal. It derives values based on the country and type of zone. It looks like it can be an effective way to define an entire set of tags that should apply consistently across a group of ways (eg a method for all ways in a defined "built-up" area to share a common set of key/values including maxspeed, and other rules).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trafficzone#Examples

and bottom of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed#Implicit_maxspeeds_set_by_.22trafficzone.22_and_.22highway.22

I guess the danger with this again is presumptions!!!

This may not be the best solution, but it ties in with the whole definition of "built-up" areas and the laws that are associated with them... and seems to be an elegant way to tag an area consistently.

BJ

Sent from my iPad