[talk-au] Use of equals symbol within keys

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 02:35:33 BST 2012

Was recently browsing OSM Inspector and it was throwing up a warning
about some tags that had been used on parts of the F3 because an
equals symbol appears in the key. Specifically these....

source:bicycle=no = http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/downloads/hornsby.pdf
source:cycleway=no = http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/downloads/hornsby.pdf

See http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=tagging&lon=151.17082&lat=-33.60765&zoom=15

As a person with some coding experience, I find this use of = inside a
key slightly disturbing, as = is the separator between a key and a
value, plus this method requires duplication of the root element's
original value.  I'm thinking the 2 keys are better written simply
like....

source:bicycle = http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/downloads/hornsby.pdf
source:cycleway = http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/downloads/hornsby.pdf

I draw a comparison with use of source:xyz elsewhere - e.g. for
speeds, names, etc... where we adopt this convention -

maxspeed = 110
source:maxspeed = sign

and not...

maxspeed = 110
source:maxspeed=110 = sign

There's very little in the wiki about use of = in a key, but it gets a
brief mention toward the bottom of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like

Cheers,
BJ