[talk-au] School Zones

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:34:53 BST 2012

On 24/08/2012, at 6:38 AM, Ian Sergeant wrote:

> On 24/08/12 03:18, Ben Johnson wrote:
>> So... with the prospect of re-editing, and the uncertainty of the
>> maxspeed:(condition) proposal, this has lead me full-circle back to
>> thinking the simple [restriction = school_zone] tag is the most
>> effective method to mark a school zone for later refinement. We
>> could include the extended information (e.g. operational times and
>> days) as either a [note = ...] (notes are not displayed to end
>> users), or even a [description = ...] (descriptions are potentially
>> displayed to end users as text hints/guides).
>>
>> Does anyone else have thoughts about school zones? I'm particularly
>> interested in whether we can come up with a method that is
>> appropriate for all states.
>>

> I went through the same thought process as you, and came to the same
> conclusion.
>
> School Zones only apply school days, so the times of application
> can't be captured.  They have different demerit point structures.
>
> See this photo..
>
> http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4364/gopr1691.jpg
>
> Obviously someone regards a school zone as distinct from a maxspeed.
>
> Ian.

That looks like Newington.  I hadn't considered the administrative
differences such as demerit points, but yes!  And there's a great
example at the southern end of Mann Street, Gosford where a School
Zone is contained inside a permanent 40km/h zone.

I took this pic this morning after reading your post on the way home
(applogies for sun being in the wrong place)....
https://twitter.com/tangararama/status/238852212263112705/photo/1/large

"End School Zone..." and back into a 40 zone.

Therefore any tagging scheme should differentiate it as a special
rules zone rather than simply a time-based speed change.  I'm getting
a headache from all this. I'm going to revert a couple of my
experimental tags back to restriction=school_zone with a note, and
worry about it later.

Cheers,
BJ