[talk-au] import of state borders?

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:10:45 BST 2012

2012/8/27 Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>

> The first real divergence I've come across is here, where the ABS
> border follows the northern anabranch, but it seems clear from AGRI
> that the southern watercourse is now the one with the most flow.   I'd
> like to declare this land as part of NSW.
>

> http://agri.openstreetmap.org/?zoom=16&lat=-36.0233&lon=146.67105&layers=B00

Sounds reasonable to me.

In fact I also came across the first cut-offs over the weekend, an example
is [1]. But I found it rather difficult to decide for one state or the
other. According to [2] (page 2) the border does not necessarily change if
the river does: "The creation of a new channel after 1850 by sudden
avulsion will not alter the location of the state border. [...] The rule of
gradual and imperceptible erosion and accretion will apply." So I let
Victoria win there, even though I don't have any data from 1850
available....

Best regards,
Michael
[1]