[talk-au] Aboriginal sacred sites

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 28 00:30:40 BST 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:25:28 +1000
Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is an interesting issue.  Military bases and nuclear facilities are
> often fully mapped in OSM, but often the location of many Aboriginal
> carvings and sensitive areas etc, are not.

It is my understanding that for some tribes even the location of sacred sites is only available to initiated members of the tribe and only recognisable to those initiates. This makes them rather difficult to map whereas military and nuclear sites are usually recognisable on remote sensing images.

mick