[talk-au] National borders (was: import of state borders?)

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 07:26:51 BST 2012

2012/8/30 Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>

> It looks like we've finished the NSW/Victoria border.  There are
> probably a couple of bits I'll go back to and touch up, but otherwise
> looking good.

Yes, I think now all land borders are completely mapped. Nice piece of work.

> So, what's next to complete the national/state borders?

Good question, I would probably start with the national border. These
maritime boundaries are rather messy, just have a look at the yellow line
and the brown area in [1] or read the description there.

For this I see two different methods:
(a) Do the pure-OSM approach by deriving everything from the coastline with
some guessing for the straight segments.
(b) Try to get permission to use the official data [3]

Here I would definetly favor (b) - simply because to me the only accurate
definition of the baseline is the official one. But of course I don't know
at all if there is a chance to get the permission to use the data in OSM.

If this doesn't work we would have to work on using the coastline, somehow
generate a baseline, and from there calculate the territorial waters. The
piece looking most diffcult to me would be to generate the baseline, given
the topography of Australia's coastline and/or looking at [1].

Any thoughts or suggestions are highly welcome!

Michael

-------
[1] http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA3746.pdf
[2]