[talk-au] When is a road a cycle route?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:18:16 GMT 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:

> I take a simplistic approach to this.  A road is a bicycle route if and
> only if it has a bicycle lane (lanes if a two-way road).

Simple, but not very helpful IMHO. cycleway=lane already captures that
information. lcn=* and route relations should capture something beyond
simple infrastructure.

Incidentally, another case for discussion: Someone a while ago added "the
Golden Trail" to OSM: marking a huge series of roads from near Adelaide to
Ballarat (or Castlemaine - I forget) with a route relation and "rcn_ref=The
Golden Trail". There was never going to be any "on the ground" signage or
painting, but at the time at least there was a website and plans for
brochures etc. So I was a bit ambivalent about it.

Since then, the website has gone, and the whole concept seems to have
disappeared, so I've been progressively removing them. Still a fair chunk
remains:
http://osm.org/go/uGTLrE?layers=C

I assume we're all agreed that we wouldn't want this kind of thing in OSM?
What if there was good external documentation? What if there were signs but
no bike lanes?

Steve