[talk-au] Australia Postcodes - using AusPost database

Darren Burt burt.darren at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:08:11 GMT 2012

Hi again

I've been mapping around the West Pymble area and noticed that the
postcode was wrong. Looking around some of the streets, they were
associated with Macquarie Park which is the other side of Lane Cove
River! In short, there are serious and obvious errors.

So, I followed some of the links on the wiki, and found that AusPost
provides post code data[1]. But one of the key aspects of the license is
that it can only be provided free for non-commercial activities.

Now, my basic understanding of the 'new' OSM license is that the OSM
database may be used for commercial activities, which would put it in
direct conflict with the Auspost database usage requirements.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Or at least pass it on/up to
some legal expertise?

Regards
Darren

[1] https://auspost.com.au/devcentre/postcodedata/register.asp