[talk-au] Boundary removal.

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:22:33 GMT 2012

Mark wrote

"I haven't looked at all the state borders yet, but some of them at
least are based on ABS data - prior to the ABS import, was there other
data for state borders that can be undeleted, or will we need to add
these in again?"

That's a very good question.

The coastline in particular has caused some interesting
discussions on this list for years.  I'm sure there were
all state borders and coastline before ABS but that
the ABS data was usually better (but not always).

I've had importers and tweakers cause some of the roads
I've mapped to move into the ocean maybe three times
(for the same road) but that's no problem, I've just
tweaked the coastline back into proper position.

Since the ABS import has deleted the previous data
there is no way for us to get it back unless we can
find some old planet files.

I believe that the DWG would (be able to help us here).
I'd like to get the ACT border sorted out pronto.

Actually I spent a lot of time (and petrol) mapping the
Black Allen line (NSW VIC straight border). I must check that
the ABS import didn't mess that up. There is even a bridge
(near Delegate) that VIC (i think) had to give back to NSW
even though they had maintained it for decades because
it was surveyed into the wrong state. I very carefully
mapped this bridge's position.

I tried remapping some coastline down near Eden, from
Bing imagery. This works well buit is very time comsuming
and the coastline is BIG and probably Bing imagery does
not cover it all at the necessary resolution.

I suggest we get back our old state natrional boundaries
from before ABS and then improve them over the next year
or so, at our leisure.