[talk-au] Boundary removal

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:12:48 GMT 2012

The version1 level 10 ABS boundaries have now been removed.

Now when you see a red way you know that it does indeed need
work on it.

If you use a mapnik rendering (whether Bing maps or
openstretmap.org) the remaining level 10 boundaries show up
well in purple.

These will almost always be of two types

a) someone has realigned the boundary based on local knowledge.

or

b) Someone has mixed an administrative boundary and a
highway, railway waterway aeroway etc. in the same way.

In the a) case the editors will need to save away these
mods until boundaries are reapplied and then remake the changes,
although it would be great if we can apply all state boundary changes
to the old boundaries, before the licence change.

In the b) cases each road/river etc needs to be investigated to
see if it can be remapped from clean sources.

There is a lot of work to do but each highway reclaimed will result
in a marked reduction in loss of routability at changeover time.

P.S. I've caused a bit of damage to our coastline which will be
fixed soon(ish).