[talk-au] Geoscience Australia Gazetteer 2010

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:46:45 GMT 2012

Not sure if others have posted about this before but I just discovered
the Geoscience Australia Gazetteer 2010 release under CC-BY 3.0. (Well
actually I think it is as that is what the PDF front page says in the
download. It also says copyright resides with each contributing agency
so I don't know how to interpret that. That should be resolved before an
use of this data in FOSM.)

http://www.ga.gov.au/meta/ANZCW0703014255.html

I've also converted it to the OSM XML format
http://tianjara.net/data/osm/imports/Gazetteer2010.tar.gz using this
script https://gist.github.com/1876009

It contains a lot of names. Useful names. It seems like the accuracy is
very rough though (lots of points clumped together).

This is directed to osm-fork, but I've CC'ed talk-au as it may be of
interest to you too.