[talk-au] Back in editing - Tracks and 4wd areas

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Jan 5 09:45:15 GMT 2012

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Mark Pulley<mrpulley at lizzy.com.au>  wrote:
>>> How should I mark 4wd trails? Thanks,
>> highway=track; surface=unpaved; if 4wd only then also add 4wd_only=yes
>
>  From experience I've found this is really hard to determine. Often the
> road quality varies and I don't really want to subdivide 30km of track
> into 10m segments where some are 4wd_only and some aren't. I find it
> hard to subjectively decide how small a non-4wd only section is worth
> splitting up as a segment.

To me this is really odd.  If the track is 30km long and there is 1km of
4wd only then is not this track all 4wd_only.  As without a 4wd you will
not be able to go from one end to the other in a 2wd.

Also any track sign posted as 4wd only should be marked in it's entirety
as 4wd_only=yes.

Cheers
Ross