[talk-au] Back in editing - Tracks and 4wd areas

David Findlay david at woodypointcomms.com.au
Thu Jan 5 13:27:15 GMT 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:34:28 PM Andrew Harvey wrote:
> Certainly not disdained upon, although I would prefer tracing imagery
> for areas with accurate high-res imagery like nearmap, the GPS tracks
> are still most welcome, especially so in other areas.
>
> I generally reserve highway=track for ways wide enough for a car to
> traverse, and as per the wiki are "Roads for agricultural use, gravel
> roads in the forest etc."
>
> If they are only wide enough for walking or cycling I would use
> highway=path.
>
> I thought foot, bicycle, motorcycle, motorcar = no was for where it is
> signed as not allowed rather than you would find it difficult to
> traverse in a...

So for instance I've just added a track in Freshwater National Park. It's
designated as a walking trail, but is really a 4wd track with a gate at the
end. So I've added it as a Track, but tagged no motorcycle or motorcar, but
said foot and bicycle yes. Sounds correct? In another area the tracks are
often again wide enough for 4wd's, but fences prevent vehicular access so I've
made them paths? Thanks,

David