[talk-au] Back in editing - Tracks and 4wd areas

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 09:05:22 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Ok so if your mapping every 10m and the first 10m is 2wd and then the next
> is 4wd the remainder of the track becomes 4wd_only.

What about coming from the other end?

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM, David Findlay
<david at woodypointcomms.com.au> wrote:
> So for instance I've just added a track in Freshwater National Park. It's
> designated as a walking trail, but is really a 4wd track with a gate at the
> end. So I've added it as a Track, but tagged no motorcycle or motorcar, but
> said foot and bicycle yes. Sounds correct? In another area the tracks are
> often again wide enough for 4wd's, but fences prevent vehicular access so I've
> made them paths? Thanks,

For the first one, yes how I would do it; for the second I would still
tag it as a track, and as Michael pointed out use barrier=gate with
the restrictions on the gate.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Read the wiki:

> A road signed as only suitable for 4WD Only vehicles"
>

> If it's not signposted as 4wd only and "I don't think a 2WD can drive here"
> then it's 4wd=recommended.

Yes, I should really have read the wiki. It makes sense now, use
4wd_only=yes only where it is signposted or otherwise legally
restricted to 4wd only, irrespective of the actual surface, and
4wd_only=recommended for the latter case.