[talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 00:47:38 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's recap:
> 1) You did lots of hard work creating content
> 2) You applied the maxspeed change
> 3) You refused to accept the contributor terms
>
> Now, 3) totally negates the benefit of 1). It's actually worse than if
> you had never contributed anything at all, because the net effect for
> us is a lot of wasted effort in trying to work around your
> contributions. And 2) makes all this much worse again.
>
> So, regardless of how much time and effort you've actually put in, as
> far as I see your overall contribution to OSM, it's negative. You have
> harmed this project more than you have helped it. Sorry, but it's
> true. Buying someone the most amazing birthday present counts for
> nothing if you take it away from them again.

He isn't taking anything away. Those contributions were may under the
CC-BY-SA license. You are free to continue using them under the
CC-BY-SA license.

OSM wants more rights than that. JohnSmith doesn't agree, and is
within his rights not too. That isn't the same as taking back the
original CC-BY-SA grant.

To correct your analogy, JohnSmith gave you an amazing birthday
present which you asked for, but now you decide you don't want it
anymore and you don't know how to dispose of it so you are blaming the
person who gave it to you.

The maxspeed change kept in tack the full history of the original
object. All you have to do is roll back your objects to the last CT
clean version, and work forwards from there.