[talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 06:37:48 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:
> The community has rejected the contributions. They were made, in
> good faith, under the licence that had been agreed to at the time.

Look, I don't think there's anyone on this list that particularly
likes the way the license change was handled. Certainly not me. But
sometimes shit happens, and we can either move forward, or keep
banging our heads against the wall complaining about wretchedly unfair
it all is. Refusing to accept the CTs will not change the CTs and it
won't change the licence used by OSM. All it does is cause that data
to be deleted.

> Really, you told him his car's not worth shit and you don't want it
> unless he also joins Family First. Even though yesterday you said you'd
> like it and he should get it for you at considerable personal effort.

Yep, there's no question whatsoever that "I" (meaning OSMF) have
behaved like a complete dick. Now, do we continue this game of "well,
you behaved like a dick, so I'm going to behave like a dick", or do we
take the higher moral ground of "well, you behaved like a dick, but I
joined this project for the good of the greater community, and I'm not
going to let my hurt feelings get in the way of that".

What's more important - the ideological dispute with OSMF, or building
an awesome map database?

Steve