[talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:38:00 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:
> This is a false dichotomy. There is at least one more perspective: "you"
> (meaning OSMF and OSM contributors) suck it up and deal with the
> consequences of your actions. What's happening now was predicted way
> back, and I know "I told you so" doesn't actually help anybody, but it
> does mean it's unreasonable for you to act all surprised and offended
> about what's going on.

That's the point. I'm not surprised, I'm not offended. I believe the
disgruntled have made their point, and I definitely supported them
while the debate was active. Now that it's over, and a done deal, I
think it would be much better for them to now (begrudingly,
reluctantly, ...) tick the damn box and move on. I wouldn't even be
surprised or particularly offended if they also chose to have nothing
further to do with this community. But to put in thousands of hours of
work to create free map data that can be used by anyone, and then to
finish up having contributed nothing strikes me as a spectacularly
selfish act of self-immolation.

Steve