[talk-au] Splitter decliners

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jan 10 09:48:24 GMT 2012

Hi Nick and all continuing mappers,

To be fair, it also works the other way around, a road and the
information contributed by a decliner is split and randomly one half is
then "clean" and it is difficult to quantatively judge whether the
information value carried over was also known independently by the new
accepting contributor. However, in Australia the overwhelming case does
seem to be as you describe.

I wonder if the solution is to revert contributions by specific declined
users who have clearly indicated that they will never accept the new
terms, or at least specific changesets by them? This would deal with the
maxspeed issue as I think Nick is suggesting in another thread and the
missing street names.  I believe, but will double check, that it will
also simply put back the splits. I also want to check what happens when
an accepting user has subsequently made changes over the top.  With
these caveats aside, what do you and continuing contributors think?
Nick, is this something you would personally handle or should we ask the
guys in the data working group? What should the list consist of?

User JohnSmith is an obvious candidate to resolve maxspeed.  For me as a
personal mapper, user Franc has made many such splits in my Sydney
mapping area, for very constructive reasons but has clearly stated he
will not accept the new terms. As probably the worst devil the OSMF has
in terms of promoting license re-organisation and the way of going about
it, I am though very, very hesitant to push the issue without clear
discussion by and consensus of continuing mappers. It is great to be
able to finally talk without being told that everything ever suggested
must be a priori wrong, wrong, wrong ... but I fully understand that I
ain't necessarily right either.

Mike