[talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 02:48:54 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you and others complaining loudly about people being selfish
> should blame those responsible, OSM-F, they chose to change licenses
> even though many pointed out how much would have to be tossed out, and
> even after all the tossing is finished I doubt the data set will be
> clean enough to change licenses.

Of course I blame OSMF for the very destructive decision taken, and
the way the process was handled. And I blame every "decliner" for
their part in that destruction. (It's ok to blame at multiple levels,
just the same as in a fundraising drive, we credit both the
fundraiser, and the individual donors).

> But for what end is all this work being tossed out? What is going to
> be really gained in the long run?

I completely agree. But the work only gets "tossed out" if:
a) The decision to switch licences is taken; AND
b) Contributors such as yourself decline the new CTs; AND
c) Someone actually deletes the data from the main OSM database.

Now, a) is a done deal. c) is scheduled, and will almost certainly
take place. Therefore, the only people who can stop data destruction
are the "decliners", who must share responsibility for allowing it to
happen.

> And no it's not selfish, you are welcome to continue using my data
> like you always have,

Your data is only a tiny fraction as useful if it's not in the main
OSM database.

> YOU and people just like you that don't have a
> spine to stand up to OSM-F and say no this is not the best thing to be
> doing so we can have a great map are the ones being selfish and
> choosing to opt out of better maps.

The debate was had. Many dozens, even hundreds of people "stood up"
and complained. But the debate is over, and further resistance is
futile.

> You can stop with all the bullish language about being selfish, YOU by
> going along with everything and agreeing to such a disruptive change
> for little or no benefit are purely to blame for the state of afairs
> and you have no one else to blame but yourself.

The disruption has happened. It's over, man.

> You say you want a great map, I say bullshit, you had one and you
> can't get rid of it quick enough.

No idea who that was directed at - clearly not me.

Steve