[talk-au] Ride the City

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 04:21:07 GMT 2012

On 25 January 2012 15:02, Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried some routes. It doesn't seem to give as much weight to cycle
> routes as ridethecity. E.g. Routing me along streets parallel to cycle
> routes.

I think this may be why I Iike it.  As far as I can tell it ignores cycle
routes, where as ride the city likes to get you on them.

My ideal cycle router would just ignore anything primary+, multi-lane or
with a maxspeed greater than 50, and then just get me there the shortest
way possible.  I find the bbbike "avoid main roads" option generally works
for me.

I'm yet to find a "cycle route" (at least in Sydney) that offers anything
over the residential road running parallel to it.  I'd much rather be
guided by road width, traffic speed and traffic volume.

If cycle route implied some kind of cycle facility, then I'd be happy on a
cycle route. The point (for me) of a cycle router, is if builds its own
route from the infrastructure that exists on the ground.

Ian.