[talk-au] replies to my into

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Wed Jan 25 07:10:53 GMT 2012

On 25/01/12 13:41, Don Thomas wrote:

> Most of what I expect to do will be straight from the GPSr. I
> currently use a Etrex H (non mapping) which has a fairly small memory
> so will only do relative shortish bits at a time. Question: I use
> tracking settings 'auto' with a 'medium' accuracy which looks OK when
> I load it up on the computer, does that sound OK?

I use a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and a 60CSx.  As Richard says, "Lock on
Road" needs to be turned off (Menu / Setup / Map).  The reason is that
the GPS will otherwise log your track as being precisely ON any road it
knows about close to your actual track.  In turn, this is both useless
for checking the accuracy of any map you have loaded onto the GPS, and a
potential breach of copyright (assuming it locks to the detail on a
competitor's map).

I do use Record Method set to Auto, but Interval set to "Most Often".

Assuming a clear view of the sky, I find the accuracy very good except
for changes of direction (as in corners).  For quite a distance, the GPS
can't decide if you've changed direction or some propagation phenomenon
has introduced an inaccuracy.  For this reason, I take corners as slowly
as safely practicable when mapping from a vehicle.

John