[talk-au] Hi from Brett Russell

Brett Russell brussell237 at live.com.au
Sun Jul 1 01:53:26 BST 2012

Hi John and others

Looked at the hiking trail link below and only the Overland Track came up in Tassie.

I have added a few tracks and do I need to do something special to have them identified as hiking tracks?  Using generic path.

Also bushwalking tracks have a few loose categories in my opinion.

Boardwalked or well maintained by Parks.
Traditional tracks that are well marked on the ground but Parks does not maintain.
Know tracks but rather easy to lose in places.
General easy ways but lot of track finding skill needed to keep on them and re-find them. Often just the key weak points in cliff lines marked.
GPS plots that are the way one person approached the area.

Now for a harden bushwalker any of the above are ok but sadly we encounter in Tassie more than a few people that think every track is marked like a street.  Also some well marked tracks are challenging due to steepness and have creek crossings that can flood.

Looking for ways to maximize the information.  Bit like roads.  Superhighway to 4wd track requiring serious vehicle.

Cheers
Brett Russell
PO Box 94
Launceston Tas. 7250