[talk-au] What's best to do with ways split by decliners?

Arie Paap wildmyron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 11:00:14 BST 2012

On 1 July 2012 07:05, Mark Pulley <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au> wrote:
> I have noticed in my local area that there are some ways that I added (as
> version 1), that have subsequently been split by ODBL-decliners. The new
> ways created by them are currently showing up in the badmap view at
> http://cleanmap.poole.ch/ .
>
> What is the best way to rescue this data (as the nodes are still my version
> 1 nodes, apart from the additional nodes where the way is split). Is merging
> the new ways back into my version 1 way enough to save this data (removing
> the additional nodes)?

I've been wondering about that during remapping as well and I suspect
that will work. I'm sure there would be a test case covering this
situation but it takes my quite a while to interpret what they all
mean. That would of course lose whatever information has been added
(such as bridge or roundabout or other property). When remapping areas
where ways have been split to add roundabouts (for example) I've
tended to delete the new ways (but not the old nodes) and create a new
way using some suitable source to retain the information added (where
possible) as well as retaining the old nodes.

If you're interested in the test cases, the latest code for the
rebuild bot is here:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-license-change/tree/against_api
(That's the latest branch which Andy Allen has been working on and it
will probably be merged back into his master which is at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-license-change/ )

Alternatively someone on the talk or rebuild list would know what the
relevant logic is.

Arie.