[talk-au] I feel like such a newbie

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Tue Jul 17 13:05:28 BST 2012

Hi Brett,

You've made remarkable progress in a very short time!

I'm a Linux user rather than Windows, so I can be of limited help there.
  I can add to Steve's reply.

Firstly, you need to convert that pbf file to an osm one.  You use the
osmosis program to do that.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis

Here's the Linux script I run to turn the pbf file I download into the
Garmin gmapsupp.img file.  It's a routable "road" map for my Garmin nuvi
car GPS unit.  I also create a cycling-orientated map for my Garmin 60CSx.

#!/bin/sh

cd $HOME/OSM/mkgmap/style/work

/usr/user/osmosis-0.39/bin/osmosis --read-bin
$HOME/OSM/mkgmap/style/australia-oceania.osm.pbf --write-xml australia.osm

/usr/bin/java -Xmx1400M -jar /usr/user/splitter-r181/splitter.jar
--cache=/tmp --output=xml australia.osm

rm australia.osm

/usr/bin/java -ea -Xmx1400M -jar /usr/user/mkgmap-r1995/mkgmap.jar
--remove-short-arcs --style-file=$HOME/OSM/mkgmap/style/roadrte --route
--gmapsupp -c template.args

mv gmapsupp.img $HOME/OSM/mkgmap/road

rm *.*

cd

I hope it hasn't wrapped, and still makes "Unix-sense".  I've inserted
blank lines for readability just in case.  Note that I need to use the
splitter because my australia.osm file is so large.  The splitter
creates a series of manageable (smaller) osm files.

John