[talk-au] Our friends down under need our help

Andy Robinson ajrlists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:57:24 BST 2012

GB mappers, our Aussie friends need our help. Large swathes of Australia
have been decimated by the redaction process so if like me your UK area is
looking pretty clear please turn some attention to fixing some areas down
under. If you do I'd suggest you subscribe to, or keep an eye on, the
archive of the talk-au mailing list where requests and discussion on the
redaction process are being made by some mappers.

A lot of what needs doing is just simple fixing of reconnecting roads and
adding missing nodes which can mostly be done from BING imagery. Watch out
for misaligned BING.

There are several tools/resources that can help with this task, including:

The AGRI imagery - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AGRI

Keepright - http://keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=5
<http://keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=5&lat=-27.07526&lon=134.22968&layer
s=B0T> &lat=-27.07526&lon=134.22968&layers=B0T

OSM Inspector -  http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/

Tagging - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines

I'm sure others can suggest stuff.

To see areas impacted you can also use ITO's OSM mapper and filter by the
"OSMF Redaction Account" for a given area. That will help narrow down where
you might start in a particular location/city. ITO's data doesn't currently
show the AU edits but I'd expect that to catch up in a day or so. Note also
that the redaction bot has not complete all areas yet. For latest progress
see Harry's map:

http://harrywood.dev.openstreetmap.org/license-change/botprocessing.php?show
zeros=no
<http://harrywood.dev.openstreetmap.org/license-change/botprocessing.php?sho
wzeros=no&zoom=4&lat=-24.86563&lon=133.4707&layers=B00FTTFFFFFF>
&zoom=4&lat=-24.86563&lon=133.4707&layers=B00FTTFFFFFF

Cheers and happy mapping

Andy