[talk-au] OSRM A few basic questions

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Jul 22 22:25:12 BST 2012

Am 22.07.2012 01:51, schrieb Brett Russell:
> Hi
>
> A few things.
>
> 1. I used Polatch 2 to add a house and give it an address.  I chose
> the last house in Oldaker Street Devonport with the number 237.  How
> do I link the house to the street?

Add addr:street to the house (either building outline or the node).

> 2. I then used OSRM to find the route from Oldaker Street, Devonport
> to George Street Launceston.  It gives me the option to select Oldaker
> in Burnie or Devonport but not George Street in Launceston.  Thinks
> Canada is a nice place to be.

OSRM uses nominatim to do address lookups, nominatim is currently (due
to the redaction process) not being updated. As soon as we have a new
ODBL licenced planet the nominatim database will be reloaded and we will
have very fast updates again (and there should be substantially less
issues with place nodes).

> 3.  So I type in George Street, Launceston and it decides I must be
> heading to George Street in Longford.
>
> Basically what I am trying to do is test the routing to find and fix
> broken routes.  The questions are rather newbie but OSM help and
> search brings up countless opinions like you should be using JOSM
> wi8th X or Y plugin (ok I have more than one computer and installing
> JOSM on everyone including friends makes no sense). All I am after at
> this stage is a simple means to test a route and fix it up.

Right now I would simply test routes between stuff that survived the
redaction.

> I assume that I need to split roads and give each section a different
> speed limit when it changes.
Yes.

Simon