[talk-au] traffic lights on dual carriageway intersections

Steer isteer at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 3 05:26:40 GMT 2012

I have been trying to find the accepted practise for mapping traffic lights
where dual carriageways interest.  There is much discussion on various
sites, but most seems to be a bit old, and I'm not convinced I've found what
is the latest accepted practise.

I checked some intersections in Melbourne's CBD, and the method I saw that I
liked and thought the best was where there were 4 lights at the
intersection, but they were not placed on the intersecting modes, but one
node back "upstream" on each way.  I think this is good because no matter
which way you go through the intersection, you only pass one set of lights
(rather than 2 if they were placed on the actual intersecting nodes).

Any comments?

thanks

Ian