[talk-au] Historical rail lines

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 25 06:15:59 GMT 2012

A question for the list regarding historical/disused rail lines.

The old inner circle rail line in Melbourne is mapped in OSM, and I'm
unconvinced of it being a good thing. Here's a little bit of it that I
can talk about with some local knowledge of:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.780512&lon=144.982887&zoom=18&layers=M

Given that there is pretty much no trace of the rail line left, why are
we mapping it? It was "on the ground" 30 years ago, but it certainly
isn't now.

(That said, there are some small pieces of the track remaining - where
it crosses Rae St and Brunswick St Nth, two or three 15 metre sections +
a set of points just north of the end of Birkenhead St (including what
appears to be an old rail weighbridge), and a short three metre section
in Edinburgh Gardens, and the old North Carlton station building is
still there)

If there are no complaints, I'm going to remove it. It's historical, and
appears on old maps, but does not exist today.

Matt