[talk-au] Historical rail lines

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Sun Nov 25 11:24:57 GMT 2012

Not sure of the original source - the rail line is in old Melways etc.
and in some out of copy right maps I have. The existence of the inner
circle rail line isn't really a secret.

The problem for me is that it just isn't there any more (aside from the
handful of things I mentioned below, which I agree can be kept mapped
correctly because they exist physically, but it amounts to above 100
metres of track in a dozen small sections, plus a cutting underneath
Royak parade and an old station building that is now a community centre).

The actual align of the rail line is also out by about 30 meters at
least - it's too far south on OSM to be accurate

Just because is existed once in a time past doesn't mean we should map
it. Parts of the Deepdene rail spur still exist (some cuttings and the
like), but there's no rails, and it has been mostly built over. Ditto
the Rosstown railway <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosstown_Railway>
(Elsternwick to Oakleigh)

It's not a "disused" railway where the infrastucture is still there.
It's a bike path, the lines have been pulled up, the stations torn down,
the overhead gantry towers removed...

It's just a slippery slope... immediately north of the rail line in the
link below is Holden St. It used to have a tram line on it, with a
curious little dogleg at the end onto St Georges Road. That was also 40
years ago. There's not much left now, but there are a few traces if you
know what you are looking for (old overhead cable mounts etc). But I
hardly think it needs to be mapped.

Matt