[talk-au] Historical rail lines

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 02:18:30 GMT 2012

On 26 November 2012 12:36, Alex Sims <alex at softgrow.com> wrote:

> I've been following this discussion with interest. We do mark and should
> mark administrative boundaries which are not visible on the ground. Can the
> logic for these boundaries which be usefully extended to historical data?

I don't think so.  Keeping historical data in OSM is going to require a
more complex model.  Maybe a separate project, maybe layers, maybe
something else.

There is a mailing list and a wiki page set up to gather ideas..

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/historic

There are two main aspects to consider here.  Firstly, how you map that
what no longer exists?  Secondly, how you track changes made to OSM, so you
can capture history within the OSM changesets.

The first one we have plenty of time.

The second we need right now, every addition I make it is impossible to
tell whether I'm adding a new feature that didn't exist on the ground
before, or just filling in a feature that has always existed but wasn't
mapped.  And every feature I remove, it is impossible to tell if I'm
removing it before it is wrong, or removing it because it has been
demolished.  So, we're actually losing information as we go.

Ian.