[talk-au] dirt roads

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Sun Oct 21 04:34:06 BST 2012

On 21/10/2012 1:35 PM, dbannon at internode.on.net wrote:

> Well said Matt, especially the bit about dirt roads being the fun ones !
>
> I might have made myself a bit clearer about why I posted. Firstly,
> because I want to ensure people are happy with proposed edits to the
> wiki. But secondly, I'd like to start a discussion about how our map
> data ends up being looked at.
>
> As you say Matt, 4x4_only is a good tag and well used in Oz. However,
> I don't know of any rendering engine that uses it, about the only way
> to find out if it has been applied is to go into edit mode. And you
> are right, we sure don't need 4x4_only=no anywhere !

In terms of tagging a 4wd-only road, my preference would be to render
the name, then the 4wd/SSC info eg: Conroys Gap Road (4WD only) or
Conroys Gap Road (4WD/SSC).

The Garmin maps I make for rural/bush driving append the '4WD only' to
the name, but the standard mapnik/osmarender tiles don't have anything.

I think the 4WD only marker on maps is a pretty key piece of information
- often times only part of a track would be regarded as 4WD only, but
perhaps there is no where to turn around, or the track is navigable in a
2Wd car in one direction (downhill) and not in the reverse, so once you
are committed to the track, there really is no going back. In those
instances, easily knowing the track is 4WD is an important requirement.

Also, if you are looking for example Primary/Secondary roads that are
dirt only, try the Peninsula Development Road in Cape York, or the
Buntine Highway (route 80) in WA.

Matt