[talk-au] Getting is right

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:49:46 BST 2012

On 11 September 2012 12:42, Brett Russell <brussell237 at live.com.au> wrote:

> I have been looking at few commercial mapping products closely and it is interesting to see the errors.

In the cities it seems not so bad, but google maps on minor roads
outside of major urban centres is a work of fiction.

> But I am curious that using the List in Tassie to check names is wrong?  It is a Government service and one that actually "forces "
> name changes such as the removable of possessive names and even names it does not like.  Russell Fallls for example was not
> correct but it subsequently decreed to be.  The government surveyor stuffed that up many years ago.

The Tasmanian Government clearly claims copyright.

Why not write a nice letter to the General Manager, Information and
Land Services.  Set out that what OSM is, and ask for permission to
check names against the LIST, and release the resulting data under a
free and open licence.  Say they will be attributed if they wish at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors.

If they say yes, we have explicit permission.  If they say no, then
you probably weren't allowed to begin with.

Ian.