[talk-au] National borders (was: import of state borders?)

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 02:14:02 BST 2012

Hi,

If it is really ABS2006, then it can always be better aligned.  The
fact that it is still in the database when all of the ABS2006 import
was removed, means that it has probably changed relative to the ABS
import, and I wouldn't rely on the source tag.

The convention in OSM is that coastline should be mean high water
mark.  In reality, it usually corresponds to the most inland area that
appears to be inundated by water at some time from imagery.

Some areas the beach is aligned the the coastline, and in others it
extends out to sea.  I can see the reasoning for making a beach an
area that is exposed at lower tides, but I personally don't do it that
way - I align the beach to the coastline.

If you realign the coastline, remember to change the source to what
you realign it to.

Ian.